Friday, January 3, 2014

7 Quick Takes: Baby, It's Cold Outside

1.  This has been the week of re-entry.  I think that's the reason I've never been a big fan of New Year's celebrations.  It doesn't strike me as that big of a deal.  It's like pushing the reset button on something.  It reboots and turns back on.  We eat pork and saur kraut on New Years Day.  I freak out because I have to find the lunch boxes and book bags that nearly 2 weeks before had been cast aside carelessly, I'm out of lunch meat, my calendar hasn't been filled in, I have no cash for anything because I haven't taught a lesson in 2 weeks and the house is a mess of faded holiday decorations and stale cookies.  I'm just not a fan. 

2.  On that note, we don't really talk resolutions around here.  We talk about the plans we have for the New Year, the projects we want to tackle, the things we want to do with the kids.  I plan to knit Matt his sweater.  He laughed when I told him that.  He doubts.  I cast on for the swatch last night.  I will swatch for this bad boy.  This will be the biggest project I've ever tackled.  I'm sure there have been baby blankets bigger in actual size.  But a baby blanket is a square or rectangle.  This has shaping, must fit and has a beautiful cable detail called the Seven Sisters Cable. 

3.  Since I last used Blogger, its format has changed.  Now when I go to my dashboard to work, it shows me all my stats.  Automatically.  I don't have to seek them out.  I can plainly see the 1 person who has read every entry.  .... and that might be me when I click through to view the post.  I'm not sure I have the settings correct so that it doesn't count me.  Awesome. 

4.  We have started planning Matthew's 10th birthday party.  Did you see that?  10.  Double digits.  More than half way to that point where he might leave me for college.  Just walk out the door with my heart and my Matt's money.  Now begins the intense lobbying for the many great local universities we have in this area.

5.  I painted all the upstairs closets this week.  It was a pain.  My favorites moments from that experience were 1.  the boys informing me I looked a mess while I was doing the painting.  I did.  I had paint on my arms, on my butt, down my legs, in my hair.  Closets are tight spaces with weird angles and 2.  when I put everything back into the closets after giving them a couple days to dry and cure, Joshua cheered,  "I have my room back! It doesn't look like a garbage dump anymore!"  Yep.  Sometimes there's a little more me that pops out of them than Matt.  He didn't seem to perturbed by the mess except when he couldn't find his pants.  That bothered him.  The man needed his pants.

6.  I'm actually using the Nook that my family gave us a few years ago.  It's not going to be my only source of books by a long shot.  I have shelves and stacks of books I've picked up here and there, mostly at the library's used book sale, that I need to work my way through.  But I'm using it and actually don't mind it as much as I thought I would.  The two biggest problems I've run into are sometimes I accidentally flip the pages back and forth AND I've never had a REAL book be out of batteries when I finally have a few minutes to sit down with it.  The plus side though are some of the great free books available on it and some of the books you can't find in print anywhere.

7.  Last but certainly not least.  Matthew went to Camp Fitch for his big 4th grade camp out.  I dropped him off at school yesterday morning and will get him back tonight at 5.  The feelings amongst parents seem mixed.  Some hate it.  Some love it.  The kids apparently all absolutely love the experience.  I'm hopeful he's had a good time.  I'm grateful that we didn't get a middle of the night call because he was freaking out at bedtime.  I don't hate it but I don't love it.  I'm not one to believe these experiences are the be all and end all of my kids' lives.  Like highschool.  I hope they enjoy it, learn a lot and are happy.  But I certainly don't expect it to be the best years of their lives.  I think that kind of thinking is a pretty narrow view of life and can result in a lot of disappointment and resentment as life goes on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment