Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Yarn Along: Shredder Always Was a Bad Guy

Want to see picture of my WIP, the Shredder Pullover?



This is it post-frogging.  Post staying up until 1:30 am Tuesday morning trying to rationalize figuring out all the commentary on its Ravelry page versus just picking a different pattern.

I loved this pattern the moment I saw it in this issue of Interweave nearly 5 years ago now.  I always intended to make it for my husband.  I started.  Stopped.  Frogged.  Recalculated yarn.  Bought different yarn.  And tried to break my self in on other sweaters, top down raglans.  So much so, I made my son a top down raglan cardigan with nothing but the cable pattern for the sleeves he picked from a stitch dictionary.  I thought I was ready.  I thought surely now I will understand this sleeve increase and raglan increase the writer has going on.  No.  I surely do not understand.  And judging from other people's work, I'm not alone.  Many have chalked it up to a poorly written pattern.  I am inclined to agree.  Not that I think it was deliberate, but that it is a result of perhaps someone thinking what they see in their head is intuitive and other will surely see it.  Then, lucky them, getting a technical writer and tester who has the same screw loose in their noggin.  Thus allowing this pattern to slip through the cracks to the anxious hands of the general masses, who perhaps just don't see those steps having the same logical progression that these bat-crazy people obviously did.

It's still a beautiful sweater.

I'm giving myself one more chance at it.  My way.  All other WIP done and swept aside.  Anne of Green Gables left alone on my nightstand.  Pride and Prejudice, episode 3, turned off until I get something started and some rhythm going.  I plan to tear the pattern itself apart and rewrite it.  Not just notes, but rewrite it.  I can't make heads or tails of other kind knitters' notes on what they did or didn't do on Ravelry.  Generous of them to offer and perhaps a smarter head can mesh those notes and the original pattern.  But I still keep coming up with markers that don't make sense and repeats that don't fit. 

If that doesn't work, I have two other contenders.  Pretty and on the to-do list.  But I've been waiting a long time to see my husband wear a Shredder Pullover.

 and later that day...


I think I got it.  I had to draw it, then color code and highlight both my drawings and my rewrite.  The pattern doesn't appear to have an error but it seems in an effort to be concise it sure as heck is unclear.  

Back to Small Things....

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! you have more patience then I do when it comes to poorly written knitting patterns. They make me mad and I tend to go find something else. Can't wait to see how the sweater goes!

    Miss you two!
    ~Kaddie's Mom ;)

    ReplyDelete