Friday, March 27, 2015

Noise

We are so busy.  Sometimes I feel like we are too busy.  Sometimes I know we are too busy.  There seems to be an endless stream of noise, unproductive clatterings.  It drives me nuts.  The boys make weird noises for no reason.  Their jibber jabber with each other quickly descends into fighting.  Or whining.  Or both.  Piano lessons every evening, with notes right and wrong.  I listen to kids read words all morning.  Or not read them, depending on the circumstances.

"sssssss........uuuuuuuu.......nnnnnnnn.....THIS!  - BUT! - ummm - DUH! - B?"

Nope.  Try again.

I always used to have music playing.  Anymore, I seldom do.  It's rare that I turn the music on in the car.  When I do, or I let the kids, I'm terribly picky about what we listen to.  So much just sounds like more noise and it hurts my ears.

I must have dozens of things I want to share about the kids, our family and our days.  But very little time to sit down and make it happen.  Then, when I have a little time before running off to scrub the bathrooms, I can't remember any of it.  I just know my ears hurt for want of quiet, my neck and back hurt from whatever I did to abuse them this week, and I want to share a picture of our Lenten ornaments but have no way of doing it quickly or easily....


It was slow and took more clicks that seems necessary.

We do a reading and place an ornament every evening.  Or a couple at a time if we've missed a day or two because bedtime sneaks up on us and it's after 9 and the boys need to be in bed and we've just had enough.  It took over 2 years for me to make all of them, with felt, needle, thread and hot glue.  Now you can buy things just like them on Etsy.  My favorite shop is Jesse Tree Treasures.

Josh continues to try to attend Reconciliation weekly.  I go with him because I should.  Last week, none of the priests were available after Mass.  I told him it was no big deal, we'd catch them next weekend.  I felt it that afternoon, a difference.  It didn't feel good.

We had blueberry parFIATs for the Feast of the Annunciation.  Last week, we celebrated both St. Patrick's day and St. Joseph's day.  I made cream puffs.  Real honest to goodness cream puffs.

Matthew is finally conceding to getting his haircut.  I'm glad.  The hair flipping is excessive.  I can't restrain myself much longer.  When he's sleeping the clippers call to me.  He does have pretty hair though.  I probably wouldn't want him to cut it so badly if he stopped flipping it.  Or combed it.

Matthew finally learned how to knit.  Josh finished Hunny Bear's scarf and knit him a hat on a round loom.

Matthew is getting ready for PSSAs.  Josh finally broke the minute mark on his timed math facts.

Matt repainted the laundry room closet.  It was hot pink.  I don't know why.  I also don't know why a freshly painted and clean closet makes me so happy.

My steam mop died.  And a kitchen cupboard almost feel off the wall.  The one with all of the dishes.

We got a new to us piano last fall.  It's a beautiful instrument.  It's younger than our old piano, which Faith now has - she calls it hers.  But it's a spinnet.  I did not know this.  I also did not know the difference.  It will need to be tuned twice a year because it's so much more sensitive to temperature fluctuations.  The keys are not weighted, so the hammers and keys return to their position after playing by gravity alone.  Under most normal, skilled playing this doesn't cause a problem.  Poor technic leads to keys that just sort of hang there and don't repeat.  I can now easily point out which of my students are not using curly piano fingers.  It's also been well loved and played over it's years.  The hammers are worn and the buck skin pieces are worn.  All in all, this makes the keys more finicky and it exaggerates the natural vibrato you hear in a spinnet with its short sound board and strings.  .... I've learned a lot..... It was a proactive move.  My old piano was nearing the end of its serviceable life.  The opportunity presented itself and we made a strategic move to protect ourselves from being stuck with an irreparable piano and no means of replacing it.  We can't be without a piano.  Me.  The kids.  My business.  But it's not perfect.  I don't think - I hope - it's not my forever piano.  I've never had a truly good piano, the kind that has such good sound that it gives you goosebumps, that has the perfect feel to the keys and the pedal, the kind that you don't have to worry about becoming too old and broken to play before you become too old and broken to play.

I taught my friend to knit.  She comes over and we knit on Sundays sometimes.  It's great.  I screwed up a baby sock.  I forgot to knit the toe.  Cast on and apparently went straight to the foot.  I didn't realize it until I started knitting its mate.  I need a few more hours in the evening.  To knit.

I'm suddenly aware of the clicking of the clock behind me.  And that it's late.  And I still have bathrooms to scrub.

No comments:

Post a Comment