Saturday, June 13, 2015

Summer Vacation Week 1

On the last day of school, we were still on our own.  It was Thursday and we were done at school by noon.  Matt was still in Vegas for the HP Discover Conference.  I was planning on finishing the lawn I had started mowing the night before and we had two ball games that night.  It was Burger King for lunch.  Then, home, where I had help mowing the lawn.

Daddy came home overnight.  The boys were first happy to see him and second happy to see the swag he brought home for them.  This included a real set of casino cards for each of them.  Go Fish becomes a little more high brow on cards from the Venetian!

 For lunch, we took the boys to the White Turkey.  They finished with kiddie cones.  They were surprised by their small size, but after a big lunch and giant mugs of frosty cold homemade root beer, they really were just enough.

Matthew captured this picture for us.  I was so happy to have my handsome husband home.  We managed the everyday routines all week, although I did have to cancel all of my lessons.  But managing isn't enough.  I needed someone to share it all with - the good, the bad, the mundane.  At 2 am, my welcome was muted, I snuggled up and fell right back asleep, with my husband instead of the piles of pillows I had stacked on his side of the bed.  Banshee's welcome was unbridled joy.  She spent the rest of the night pawing, licking and whining at Daddy while he tried to sleep.   

Josh had a baseball game on Saturday morning.  It was his last regular season game.  Both boys regular seasons have now ended.  Matt's team was eliminated in the first round of playoffs.  Josh plays again on Monday night.  Matthew was invited to try out for the All Stars Tournament team.  Fingers crossed!
Who was in charge of sunscreen?!

At least he's outside!

Spoiled rotten.


 Ha!  We've outgrown strikes.

 Our first week was a rainy one.  We spent an afternoon watching The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe.  I think watching the movie, then reading the books is the way this family will have to go.  The movie always gives the one boy the kick in the seat of the pants he needs to pick up a book.  The other is so enthused if he's already read the book that he talks through most of the movie, explaining the characters, plot line and differences.  I love them both.

It was dry enough out after the movie to take a walk.  While I prepared Banshee, the boys found their swords.  What was once their pirate swords from medieval times quickly became swords with which they needed to defend Narnia. 

 Sir Peter Wolfsbane, King of Narnia 

 While I was trying to make dinner, the boys made Wardrobes out of Legos.
Josh goes for detail.

 Matt likes simplicity.
He also doesn't like when Mom tells him to go play with Legos instead of video games.

He ate as many cherries as he helped wash for dinner.
At least they didn't go to waste.

By midweek, after all that rain, the yard needed attention.  I cleaned out the front beds from some weeds, faded spring plantings and a bajillion helicopters.  The boys worked together to use Dad's tools to blow the helicopters out of the driveway.  Directions printed on the side helped us get it started.  They did not help us get the stuck gas cap off when we ran out of gas.  We three had to sweep up the street and remaining piles by hand.  Matthew also helped mow the lawn again.  This time he did all but the little side yard and around the front flower beds.  That freed me up to finish digging out the ugly patch of pachysandra left in front of the house.

We were glad to see the chiropractor after all of our yard work.  Me especially after digging out the ugly pachysandra, the pachysandra with poison ivy in it and scrubbing grout. 

 We ended the week with morning Mass on Friday to celebrate the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart of Jesus.  It was just a small, quiet, weekday morning Mass.  Josh was miffed.  He was the only one in the room that wasn't able to receive Communion.  He's not being so patient about waiting for his First Holy Eucharist.  It's going to be a long year.

We also tie dyed shirts.  If I had truly been on the ball, we'd have done these earlier in the week so that they could wear them on Friday.  I was not on the ball.  Instead we did them Friday afternoon.  

This is his "Take the picture, Mom!" face.

Then they wore them today.  Saturday.  Still fitting as it is the Feast of the Immaculate Heart of Mary.

Since school let out we've also managed to squeeze in two recitals.  Last Sunday, Josh performed in his guitar recital.  He performed Weekend Whip by The Fold , which is the theme song for the Lego Ninjago animated series.  This morning, he performed two pieces form his method books in his piano recital.  Matthew also played Cantina Band on the trumpet.  It was a joint recital for both their teacher's students and mine.  I was very proud of all my kids - my boys and my students!

Golf starts next week.  We plan to catch a movie.  There's an orthodontist appointment and we're not sure how much more baseball left.  I hope to catch at least one picture a day and plan to try to post a little more regularly.  I don't have any excuse not to - it's not like we're busy or anything?!

No comments:

Post a Comment