Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Drawing Blood

I'm neck deep in projects right now.  You can tell it's nearing holiday season when the guest room, aka my sewing room, is such a disaster I don't even bothering dusting or vacuuming.  Actually it's so bad that I've taken over the kitchen table and all meals and homework have been transferred to the dining room.

I recently nearly finished some new door decorations for Christmas.  I have to make a hanging loop yet.  I'm feverishly working on an Anna dress - for Christmas, not Halloween.  It's very detailed and not exactly easy.  Any spare moment is spent working on some small part of it.  Yesterday, we got home from school and while the boys started their homework, I quickly changed clothes then researched how to sew darts and put 4 darts in the bodice pieces I made in the morning - all before my first lesson arrived.

I don't really know what I'm doing.  I'm self taught and what I can't find directions for, I'll look for pictures of or look at stuff in the closet to try to figure out.  If that doesn't work, I make it up.  I figure if it doesn't fall apart and looks good on the outside, that's all that really matters.

This morning, I finally put the velcro pieces together for Josh's Halloween costume.  Those are now done.  I'm not sure why I put off that last detail except I've been distracted by other projects.  Cutting those left some unfortunate adhesive on my good sewing scissors.  It was in foolishly cleaning those off that I sliced my thumb.  A long narrow slice.  Fortunately no blood got on any of the Anna fabric.  I have it tightly bandaged.  It doesn't hurt any longer but I can tell that I'll have to change the bandages later.  I'm hoping to hold off until Matt gets home.  I was getting woozy doing it the first time.

On my needles, I am still working on a prayer shawl.  I'm so picky about when I work on it.  I can't be too tired or I'll screw up the lace pattern.  I won't work on it if I'm crabby or feeling in a sour mood because it's a prayer shawl.  It'll be done eventually and hopefully the recipient will understand it's delay.  I  am plowing through a Gryffindor scarf for Josh.  The green scarf I knit him in kindergarten is looking terribly ratty.  He wears it all the time - wrapped around his neck through the school day.  I am using a bulky yarn and big needles and just doing straight garter stitch.  I could knit it in my sleep and some evenings I think that I do.  Over the summer I finished 2 sets of knitted Christmas gifts for work exchanges.  I realized that I still need one more.  I'll have to get on that when the scarf is finished - something quick and simple - but with the right yarn will be luxurious.

In the meantime, there are still Christmas pajama pants to sew and people keep adding things to my mending pile.  I could use a couple days off from school and housework to catch up!

No comments:

Post a Comment